Wednesday 2 May 2012

Why Blogger? - Dauphin



Dauphin is a music blogger from Edinburgh, focusing on, you guessed it, bands from Edinburgh!  Generally, although not exclusively, focusing on unsigned acts from the fair capital and sometimes beyond.  Their reviews are always well worth reading, with a discerning taste that is pretty much on the button and a nice little review system.  Regular features on the blog include reviews, occasional interviews and a 'song of the day'.  We caught up with them for a wee blogger to blogger chat.

Sum up your blog in 140 character tweet.

Dauphin focuses on local acts in Edinburgh, mostly those who email me with a track or two and occasionally some I see live at the underground venues around the city.

There's little (if any) monetary gain in blogging. Why do you do it?

For the joy of writing; for the free music; because it motivates me to expose myself to a great deal of interesting, exciting music on my doorstop; for fun.

Allow yourself some self praise, what's your proudest blog related moment?

Interviewing the band Chasing Owls and recording a session on my video camera; getting 1,000 hits in a month for the first time.

You're on a plane and the only in-flight movie is Maid In Manhatten. What do you take to:
Listen to: My iPod with some good headphones.  Favourite albums are 'xx' by The xx and 'Live At Dead Lake' by Hot Club de Paris.
Read: I'm currently reading Jon McGregor's second novel So Many Ways To Begin
Watch: Stranger than Fiction is my favourite movie of all time - but since I have never seen Maid In Manhattan I could do worse than give it a try.

What Scottish artists would you recommend to the Scottish Fiction readers?

Chasing Owls, Douglas Firs, Field Mouse, Japanese War Effort, Cameo Colours, eagleowl.

Do you write your blog with an audience in mind, or do you blog about what's on your mind?

I write for an audience that is used to the register, tone and pace of a blog - I limit content to reviews and songs, only rarely going onto comment or other stuff.

What do you think blogs bring to the music 'scene'?

Media attention that lacks on this level of microscopy.  Exposure and dissemination of music.

As a reader, what blog(s) do you frequent?

Tidal Wave of Indifference, Kowalskiy, Seven Seconds.  Edinburgh Man does great podcasts.

Thanks very much for talking to us. Would you care to end with a joke?

Q: How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: It's a bit obscure, you probably wouldn't know it...

Check out Dauphin here

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    Nice post.I like the way you start and then conclude your thoughts. Thanks for this information .I really appreciate your

    work, keep it up "


    man and van Edinburgh

    ReplyDelete